Friday, June 29

VMware Fusion

Today, I got to play with a 17" MacBook Pro. I was supposed to try out VMware Fusion. I'd used it in its early beta days, but not since they added the very cool feature, Unity. This is about the same thing as Coherence in Parallels. (I haven't used Parallels since they added Coherence either).
Unity is a really nice feature. If you haven't heard of it, it allows you to use your Windows applications on the Mac desktop instead of having to be restricted to its guest window. These little app windows even work with Expose and other mac features. Here's some screenshots...


This is how a vm normally looks. Great, I'm trapped in a box.


But now! Awesome, my windows are sitting side by side. Plus, if you'll notice, there's even an icon in the dock for each of the Windows applications running.


The coolest thing (IMHO) is that you can still do expose and stuff with these windowed Windows apps.

And just because I can, here's a YouTube video someone made:

No comments: