Thursday, May 14

Template Overriding

I wanted to do a category list layout for these couple pages, but I didn't want them to be numbered. It looked really bad, especially for a list of only 8 or so articles. I found some code to remove the numbers, but I really wanted a bulleted lists. That guy's code is a little different than the original default_items.php file, but not too much. I managed to find the foreach section and replaced the table pieces with li s. I'm pretty sure it'll only work correctly in the instance where your category only shows titles, but blah blah blah. That's not really the point of the story.

The real point is that in that forum article, I learned about template overrides. I've done a lot of hacking apart code since I started using Joomla. Now I've learend I can do it on a per template basis without touching the core Joomla code. Yay! 

No comments: